Hiring Representative Checklist
The following checklists can help you navigate the processes of creating and managing student employee positions as a hiring representative.
Creating or Updating a Position
- Verify Available Positions: Log in to InfoPorte to verify the availability of an already existing student position. Once in InfoPorte, navigate to the HR tab, then Positions, and search vacant positions by type (i.e., work-study, SPA student assistant). Once you have located the available position in InfoPorte, necessary modifications can be made in ConnectCarolina.
- Update or Create ePAR in ConnectCarolina: Visit ConnectCarolina Actions for HR Representatives for more information and instruction.
Extending an Offer & Receiving Acceptance
- Verify Offer & Acceptance: Ensure an offer with the conditions of employment have been communicated to and accepted by the student. Recommended best practice is to extend a written offer letter that includes conditions of employment to all student employees.
- Initiate Background Check: If a background check is required for the position, a background check request will need to be submitted via CastleBranch. Review the Background Checks for Faculty and Non-Faculty Employees, Student Employees and Affiliates Policy for more information, resources, and instructions. Please note that most student positions do not require a background check.
- International Students: If you are hiring an international student, it is recommended that you advise them to check-in with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) to ensure that their immigration and tax documents are accurately processed, if they have not done so already. Visit the International Student Employment Guide for more information.
Hiring a Student Employee
- Verify Other Existing Active Positions: Before initiating the hire ePAR, you should first verify if a student holds other active student positions by reviewing the UNC Employee Information in ConnectCarolina. Visit ConnectCarolina Actions for HR Representatives for more information and instruction.
- Verify Available FTE: If a student holds other active student positions, you must ensure that their combined FTE does not exceed 1.0. Visit ConnectCarolina Actions for HR Representatives for more information and instruction. Please note that additional considerations or restrictions may apply depending on the student or position type. Visit Preparing to Hire a Student for more information.
- Initiate the Hire ePAR in ConnectCarolina: Visit ConnectCarolina Actions for HR Representatives for more information and instruction. Please note, it is recommended that you use The Graduate School’s Stipend Calculator when hiring a graduate student into EHRA positions, such as Graduate Research Assistant or Graduate Teaching Assistant position.
- Verify Form I-9: All student employees must complete section one of Form I-9 on or before their first day or work and section two within three days of the effective date of hire. One way to verify if a student has an existing active Form I-9 on file is to search the student in LawLogix or contact your department’s authorized LawLogix user. Visit Form I-9 Information for Departments for more information and instructions.
On or Before a Student’s First Day
- Ensure Student is Set-up in TIM: In order to ensure that students are paid appropriately and on time, and to reduce the risk of future pay discrepancies, it is recommended that you verify that the supervisor can see the student employee in their list of employees in TIM on or before the students’ first day of work.
- Validate Payroll: In order to ensure that students are paid appropriately and on time, and to reduce the risk of future pay discrepancies, it is best practice that you check the InfoPorte registers to validate earnings and deductions the next working day after the payroll lockout. Visit Validating Payroll for more information and instruction.